Makes 2 litres (4 U.S. pints)
- 4 eggs
- 50 g (1/4 cup) and 100 g (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 500 ml (1 U.S. pint) whipping cream
- Your choice of flavourings
1. Separate the eggs, keeping both yolks and whites.
2. Whip the egg whites with 50 g (1/4 cup) of sugar. (There’s no need to wash the mixer the whole way through making the ice cream!)
3. Whip the cream.
4. Whip the egg yolks with 100 g (1/2 cup) of sugar and the desired flavourings.
5. Fold the whipped egg white and the whipped cream into the flavoured yolk mix.
6. Pour the mix into a plastic box and freeze for at least 24 hours.
- Cinnamon and honey: 3 tbs honey plus 1 tbs cinnamon (and use only 100 g — 1/2 cup — of sugar in total in the base recipe)
- Fig: 5 tbs fig jam
- Fruit: Any kind you wish, 500 g (1 lb)
- Ginger: 3 tbs crystalised ginger, finely grated
- Rum and raisin: 100 g (4 oz) raisins or sultanas soaked for 1 night (minimum) in 4 tbs run (reall rum!)
- Strawberry: 5 tbs strawberry jam or 500 g (1 lb) fresh strawberries, crushed
- Vanilla: 1tbs good quality vanilla essence (extract) or 1 tbs vanilla powder
Jutka says: This recipe amazes me with its simplicity. Also, it requires no special equipment, just a hand mixer. Once you eat this exquisite ice cream, you won’t buy commercial ice cream ever again.